We all want to make more money, right?
If you’re a haunted attraction that wants to increase you revenue, there are two ways do accomplish this:
- Increase the number of guests at your haunt
- Increase your per-guest revenue
The first option may not be realistic in the post-COVID-19 world without also increasing your costs (by renting a larger venue, for example). Increasing the amount of revenue you earn per guest, however, is simpler than you think.
Let’s be clear: increasing your per-guest revenue does not have to mean increasing your prices. It’s all about making it easy for your guests to access add-ons and upgrades that allow them to customize their experience at your haunt.
Add-ons can be anything you, well, add on to your base ticket: a T-shirt, a concessions package, even a front-of-the-line pass.
Upselling happens when you inform a guest that an upgrade or add-on is available and invite them to purchase additional merchandise or experiences.
Haunted Attractions that offer add-ons and upsells have higher average sales. At HauntPay, we’ve found that guests spend an average of $76.26 when purchasing online vs. just $42.31 at the door. That’s an 80% increase!
We know you need every bit of extra revenue you can get this year. Upsells are one way we can help you get there.
Ready to set up add-ons and upsells for your haunted attraction? Schedule an onboarding call with our support team and we’ll set everything up for you!
Would you like fries with that?
Offering add-on options isn’t just good for your bottom line, it can help improve guest experience, too.
Think about it like this: a burger is great, but a burger with fries is even better. A private lounge chair on the beach is nice, but a chair decked out with an umbrella and personal fan is a much nicer experience. Sure it costs a little more, but many of us are happy to upgrade our experience and pay a premium for the added convenience, comfort, or enjoyment.
The same goes for haunted attractions. If a guest is purchasing a ticket to your haunt, they might also be interested in a souvenir. Display newly-released items or limited edition merch you’ve created just for this year. Even hardcore fans may not be aware of your entire product catalog.
You don’t have to limit yourself to merchandise. Here are just a few creative add-ons you could offer your guests:
- Photos & Video Packages: invite guests to take novelty photos with their party (maybe posed with a monster or in front of a themed backdrop) before or after they visit your haunt. Purchasing their photos in advance means you can immediately email the files to the address on file – they won’t need to make an extra trip to the cashier.
- Midway Packages: if your haunt includes a midway area, allow guests to purchase credit in advance, or even purchase unlimited game play if that’s an option. They get the extra convenience of not having to visit a ticket booth when they arrive, and you get the funds up front instead of the day-of.
- Skip-the-Line Upgrades: give your guests the option to visit your haunt with no waiting by purchasing a skip-the-line or front-of-the-line pass. When they arrive, they can walk right up to the VIP line and enter without waiting in the general admission queue. These can be especially popular on Friday and Saturday nights, when you might normally have a line out the door, and they’re more useful these days than ever: no one wants to wait in a crowded queue.
- Early Entry: this is another useful upgrade for guests who don’t want to wait in the general admission line when your haunt opens. Give them the option to purchase early admission one hour before your official opening time. They’ll be guaranteed to be among the first visitors, so they can have peace of mind that everything is clean and untouched by unfamiliar guests.
- Parking Passes: if your haunt normally charges for on-site parking, allow guests to purchase those passes in advance. It’s more convenient, and they won’t have to worry about handling cash when they arrive.
- Concessions Packages: who wouldn’t like some popcorn or warm apple cider while they wait in line on a chilly October evening? Invite guests to purchase their concessions in advance, then just pick them up at their convenience the day of their visit. This can be particularly useful for families traveling with tweens or teens who may be independent enough to visit some part of your venue on their own, but who still need Mom’s or Dad’s help with purchases.
Need help setting up add-ons and upsells for your haunted attraction? Schedule an onboarding call with our support team and we’ll set everything up for you!
When to upsell
The best time to offer guests an upsell is before they visit: do it online while they are purchasing their tickets. This is effective for two reasons:
- It reaches guests when they already have their wallet out. They are planning to spend money on your haunt, you’re just inviting them to spend a little more, if they choose to do so. Guests are more likely to spend more money online.
- It gets you additional revenue in advance; you get your money earlier which can help cover some of the costs of planning and setting up your haunt.
However this is not your only opportunity to upsell guests. HauntPay gives you the power to communicate with guests after they’ve purchased a ticket. You can send reminders via email before their visit, and highlight upgrades available to your guests.
How it works
So what does an upsell look like on HauntPay? It’s simple to set up, and fully customizable for your haunt.
When a guest clicks “checkout” during their purchase, they’ll see a popup screen inviting them to add additional items to their cart. You decided which and how many add-ons you want to offer your guests.
Any items can be easily added to their cart in one or two clicks, then they’ll complete their transaction as normal. Of course, guests always have the option to say “no thanks” to any add-ons offered.
The entire purchase, including ticket and add-ons revenue, is transferred to your bank account within two business days, just like all HauntPay transactions.
You can also choose your preferred delivery method for products: ship them out, or have customers pick them up at your haunt.
Need help setting up add-ons and upsells for your haunted attraction?
Schedule an onboarding call with our support team and we’ll set everything up for you!
Did you miss our webinar on Social Distance Haunting? Check out the replay below! It has tons of good tips for using virtual queues, timed ticketing, and more at your haunt this season.